I recently completed a 12 state tour across the United States in seven days with Spencer Spellman. During our trip, we had the support of Select Registry for our overnight stays.
Select Registry is a group of distinguished Inns across North America. For roughly 30 years they have existed to support and promote privately owned lodging, and today represent nearly 400 Inns, B&Bs and small hotels across North America. These privately owned properties go above and beyond in a time where organizations across almost every industry are cutting back instead of giving more. From Ohio to New Mexico we saw the diversity of both our country and of the type of Inn that can be found via Select Registry.
1) The Inn & Spa at Cedar Falls – Logan, Ohio A rustic country inn in the Hocking Hills region of Ohio, the Inn features a full service spa and allows the visitor to truly connect with nature and reconnect with themselves. It is a place where relaxation and reflection are the focus. There is no TV and no phone service in the guest rooms. However, there is a restaurant headed by Executive Chef Anthony Schulz which offers quite a memorable, seasonally inspired menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day. In the area are many natural wonders such as Ash Cave or Old Man’s Cave and outdoor activities all year long such as sunrise kayak tours and even a renowned zipline course.
2) Hermann Hill Vineyard Inn & Riverbluff Cottages – Hermann, Missouri Sitting on a bluff high above town, perhaps one of the more attractive things about Hermann Hill is the view. From my private porch and while enjoying my own hot tub, I watched the sun rise over Hermann and marveled at how much the view reminded me of those I’d enjoyed in San Francisco. Before bed, I had relaxed with a roaring fire and classic movie in my suite (Casablanca) as I partook in the nightly treat of cookies and ice cream – it was a fabulous end to a long day of driving. Hermann Hill focuses on the local wineries and the German festivals that occur on an almost continual basis throughout the year but also offers full wedding and honeymoon packages.
3) Arsenic & Old Lace Inn – Eureka Springs, Arkansas Situated just outside of the main tourist area in Eureka Springs, Arsenic & Old Lace is a charming Victorian mansion that offers a truly exceptional breakfast to guests every morning (pictured is the French Toast Souffle which left me speechless). The Inn is right on the trolley line, so it’s easy to ride into town and enjoy the unique shopping and dining that Eureka Springs is known for. It’s said to be a place “where the misfits fit” and I can understand why that is so, as I felt very much at home and have always considered myself to be something of a misfit!
4) The Montford Inn & Cottages – Norman, Oklahoma The Montford Inn is situated in the heart of one of Oklahoma’s 42 “Main Street Communities” but also within walking distance of The University of Oklahoma. As such, the Inn has hosted numerous dignitaries over the years such as Vicente Fox and Al Gore and even actress Helen Hunt. Cottages, which are the ideal size for traveling families, offer in-suite jacuzzi tubs and breakfast is available in the main dining room or delivered to your suite.
5) Hacienda del Sol – Taos, New Mexico The serene Hacienda del Sol once hosted Georgia O’Keeffe and along with the property that surrounds it, is a perfect example of the Southwestern lifestyle that so captured artists like O’Keeffe. It is a romantic place at night and during the day but is just as relevant for single travelers looking to enjoy all the outdoor sports that New Mexico has to offer. Guests can enjoy a midnight soak in the hot tub that looks out at Taos Mountain, a hearty breakfast cooked by an award winning European chef and the convenience of the Taos arts and dining district being within easy walking distance.
While the Inns themselves may vary in size and setup, there are always uniting factors which clearly label the properties as being part of Select Registry. This allows repeat guests of Select Registry to know what they can expect, and allows them to count on a certain level of service and comfort that is universal to each Inn. I have found I particularly enjoy the spa robes that can be found at almost every property and I intend to come home with one the next time I am a guest! It may seem like a small thing, but a robe so comfortable I don’t want to wear anything else – is a big draw for me when I am away from the comforts of “home”.
DISCLAIMER: Our room and board was kindly provided by each of the Select Registry Inns listed in this article. I thank them for the superior hospitality and kindness they treated us with during our visits.
Wow – so glad the 7 Links Project prompted me to make my way to this post. The featured Inns make me want to spend more time in those states. And your photos = mind blowing.
Thanks Caanan!! It was a truly incredible trip, but the Taos location was my FAVORITE. I’d go back there in a heartbeat of my own accord. Truly zen place.