I love the freedom of being able to drive myself when I travel. Even if that’s just a road trip in the state I live in. So when I received an offer to test drive the Genesis G80 from my friend who does PR for the brand, I said yes. My previous experience with the G70 made me think I would like the G80 as well. And spoiler alert, I did. But there’s a but…
Genesis loaned me the G80 complete with a full tank of gas for the purposes of a review. All words (unless noted) and images in this post are mine or were taken by my partner Danté Vincent.
I was mostly curious — originally — to get behind the wheel of a car I’d never even heard of. That is until my friend became one of the PR representatives for the brand. I was an 18 year resident of the state of Michigan long before the auto industry really started to make strides toward serious investment in hybrid and electric motors. So I still retain that love for the way a gas-powered vehicle gets up and goes. When I feel the need for speed, an electric vehicle just doesn’t cut it. While I will most likely end up personally buying a hybrid or electric car, that addiction that happens behind the wheel of a car such as the G70 or G80 is something that I just simply really enjoy. And feel a tiny bit guilty over, always.
I did say there was a BUT
…and that’s the gas mileage that we experienced with the G80. Whereas the G70 lasted me for a whole week on 1 tank of gas, the G80 seemed to suck up a tank of gas or more a day. We did drive a lot. With the G80 we left our home in Los Angeles, drove to Yosemite and ended up at Sequoia before going back to LA. Obviously there were simply more miles in the second test drive.
The Genesis website says the G70 fuel consumption is 22/30 with a horsepower of 252 and the G80 is 18/26 with a horsepower of 311. That’s something you can FEEL when you tap the gas pedal and it really comes in handy if you do have to accelerate fast. I confess to loving that! Given the option and all things being equal, I always choose speed and a bigger engine.
However, I also feel like that’s just important to know about for a road trip. If you have to keep in mind needing to fill up often, it’s good to know that’s a factor before you choose a car for a road trip. In hindsight, I think the G80 isn’t the best car for a long road trip. Though, as I said, I did love driving it from a purely enjoyment perspective. It’s enjoyable to drive!
What’s the Interior like?
In addition to being fast when I needed it to be, our G80 had a gorgeous interior and a very comfortable driver’s seat. There were a lot of options to customize my seat as well. Which is becoming standard for all luxury vehicles. And that’s what the G80 feels like, a luxury sedan; long and wide, though technically still a midsize. There is wood paneling and a real clock in the dash. A huge sunroof. The cabin is upscale, comfortable and quiet. Hello old school meets new school.
We loved the dozen plus speaker surround-sound Quantum Logic system with Apple CarPlay standard. Genesis doesn’t require a subscription for this like BMW does. Music is always on anytime Danté and I are driving around. Having that gorgeous sound system where he could customize the settings while I drove, was great. There’s even a setting that makes it seem like you’re in a concert and this was a revelation in sound while in a car, in my opinion!
From team Genesis:
- The Genesis G80 is the 2019 Women’s Choice Award* winner for Best Luxury Sedan Under $50k for Reliability and Overall. The Women’s Choice Awards mission is to give women a collective voice so that they can help each other identify brands, products and services that deserve their brand loyalty and referrals.
- The G80’s athletic exterior expresses an elegant timelessness that can’t be denied. Even a quick glance reveals the dynamic lines—from its bold hexagonal grille through the muscular rear-wheel-drive proportions. It creates a spirited sense of motion, even when standing still.
- Passengers appreciate room to stretch their legs and relax thanks to a spacious cabin. The unfettered feeling in the remarkably quiet, streamlined cabin is enhanced by intuitively placed controls, available supple Nappa leather, heated and cooled seats, and panoramic sunroof.
- Refined power is achieved via the smooth-shifting standard 8-speed SHIFTRONIC® transmission. Intelligent Drive Mode allows you to fine tune performance settings from comfort to sport with the simple push of a button.
- The G80 represents an unprecedented combination of athletic styling, exhilarating performance and spacious interior, plus our most advanced technology and safety features. Whatever your wants, you need sacrifice nothing.
Let’s See Some More Photos of the Genesis G80
These were all shot in Yosemite, Sequoia or in Los Angeles at Elysian Park once we got back: